Friday, July 4, 2008

Deepika....'This is the first time....I am in love’


‘This is the first time.....I am in love’
July 04, 2008
Deepika Padukone speaks to Sreya Basu about her forthcoming projects, love life and her luck on the badminton court...Post Om Shanti Om producers are running after you…Yes, I am getting a fair share of attention and quite a number of offers. But I have a long way to go and need to groom myself to meet the expectations of producers, directors and fans.Your success at the box office was assured the moment you were cast opposite Shah Rukh Khan…I am lucky that every thing fell into place in my first Bollywood film. I will, of course, remain indebted to director Farah Khan and Shah Rukh for considering me for the film. But give me some credit as well (laughs). In what ways has Om Shanti Om affected your private life?I am still to register all that has happened to me post Om Shanti Om. The overnight fame, awards, millions of fan mails, Press interviews, being called the ‘Bollywood sensation’... All these are new to me. Despite being the daughter of badminton champ Prakash Padukone, and a model, I was not used to such attention. Badminton...Initially I followed my father’s footsteps and started playing badminton. Most do not know that I played badminton at the national level. But after a while I realised that modeling was my career. But I never thought of becoming an actor at any point in my life. It was only from my second year in modelling that I started getting film offers. But I was only 18 then and decided not to take up projects.Do you miss the things a 22-year-old usually does?I moved out of home in Bangalore to work in Mumbai. That made me feel more mature than other girls. But there is a price to be paid for everything. I do normal things and have a life outside the studios. Your off-screen chemistry with Ranbir Kapoor…This is the first time I am truly in love and hence we decided not to hide our feelings. Being in love is the loveliest of feelings. Besides, I am not a person who is frivolous about relationships. You broke off with Ranbir before falling in love again…As I said, this is the first time I am in love. Having lunch with someone doesn’t mean that I am having an affair with that person. As for Ranbir and my relationship, initially we were good friends. But journalists linked us when we were not sure of our feelings for each other. Before we could spend enough time together to sort out things we got busy with our debut films and hence parted. It was only during shooting for Bachna Ae Hasenon in Australia that we got the chance to know each other and fell in love. We started our relationship like two new people.When are you getting married?Not in the next three years, at least.Kapoor bahus are not allowed to work in films…It depends on the situation. Right now neither Ranbir nor his family wants me to quit my career. Abhi se sochne ka kya fayda!

No comments: