Friday, August 22, 2008

Leave me alone: Shilpa Shetty

Leave me alone: Shilpa Shetty
(NSI News Source Info) Friday - August 22, 2008 Mumbai: This week has been really tough on actress Shilpa Shetty, who is hosting the second season of an Indian reality show. First Jade Goody's traumatic adieu and then item girl Rakhi Sawant's allegation that a contestant on the show has been changed because of her manoeuvres.When questioned about Rakhi's allegation, Shilpa said: "I don't even want to talk about her. But I was very hurt. I really like Rakhi. Why was she talking this way about me without knowing the facts? How does she know the facts about how contestants were chosen?"I don't think it's right for anyone to shoot off her mouth in this way. You may have an outspoken image that you're always eager to uphold. But please don't flaunt that image at my cost.""Rakhi takes the cake. What authority does she have to make such charges against me? I'd have Rakhi know that it's the channel's prerogative to decide the participants. I'm hired by the channel to do a job. My jurisdiction is to go on stage and host the show."Shilpa was also appalled by her effigies being burnt by the supporters of Ramdas Athavale, Republican Party of India (RPI) leader. Athavale claims he was approached to go into the house but dropped because of her manoeuvres."It's the channel's prerogative to select or reject a candidate. Until two days prior to the show I didn't even know who was going to be there. The format doesn't allow the host to know the contestants. Mr Athavale claims he was dropped on discriminatory grounds because he was a Dalit and Sanjay Nirupam was taken instead."Amongst the participants this time are politicians Sanjay Nirupam and Rahul Mahajan, son of late Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Pramod Mahajan, as well as gangster Abu Salem's partner Monica Bedi.The actress, who won Britain's version of the show titled Celebrity Big Brother, said she wanted to be left alone."Why was I being blamed if a candidate didn't make it into the show? Why were they throwing stones and burning my effigy? Why me? Every time I'm associated with something people try to use my name for their own purposes. Please leave me alone.""I think I should take all this attention as a compliment. But somewhere it does take its toll on my mental equilibrium. We all need to be more responsible about our duties as a citizen. My phone went ballistic on Tuesday."I'm in the midst of a dozen things and then to be badgered like this! I'm human and I don't like my name being constantly used. Don't hit where it hurts the most. I think they should start auctioning my effigies," said Shilpa.She wanted police action against the practice of burning effigies.

No comments: