Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I wore a fake smile on stage: Parvathy

I wore a fake smile on stage: Parvathy
(NSI News Source Info) December 16, 2008: Parvathy Omanakuttan may have conquered the heart of millions after her remarkable win at the Miss World 2008 pageant, but little did anyone realise that the beauty queen was sporting a fake smile when she came on stage during the contest. Deep inside, and beyond those plastic smiles, her heart was still struck by the Mumbai terror attacks.
Parvathy's father, who has been working with hotel Taj for last 32 years, had a narrow escape. It was sheer luck that saved her father. He left the hotel before it was attacked by the terrorists.
Parvathy, who had left Mumbai for Johannesburg more than a week before terror attacks traumatised the nation, recalls, "God saved my father. He was in the morning shift on that day. In the late evening, when I was taking rest in my hotel, I received a message from one of my friends asking if my father was safe. I didn't realise what had happened. Since it was around 8pm in Johannesburg, I just called up my father. He told me that some terrorists had entered hotel Taj and they had taken several guests as hostage. I just can't narrate my feelings. I closed my eyes and thanked the Almighty that my father was safe."
In fact, Taj has a special bearing for Parvathy who has grown up visiting the premier hotel. With her father, she visited Taj innumerable times when she was a kid. Says she, "I have my childhood memories with the hotel. I was emotionally upset. I wanted to come back to Mumbai to meet my parents and to share the pain of other terror-struck families but I was helpless. For the first time I missed Mumbai so much. With deep pain in my heart I had to wear a fake smile every time I came on stage." She adds further, "I grew up with Taj. It's like my family."
Other contestants were also emotionally affected by the terror strikes. Says she, "Most of them had visited India and had stayed at Taj. They were very concerned about the developments. They kept asking me about it."
Parvathy also wants to do her bit in the fight against terrorism. "We should not let the fire die. We need to keep our government on the toes so that safety and security will be scrutinized at regular intervals." She adds, "At the same time I have a message for the youngsters. They are very vulnerable so they should not get into wrong traps. They should channelize their energy in doing positive things in life."

No comments: